So you’re interested in battling the Pokemon Gym Leader Squad? Good for you! Here are the rules and guidelines for participating.
How to Participate
The Pokemon Gym Leader Squad is open to all challengers, regardless of age or skill level. What you will need is the following:
- a DS, DS Lite, DSi, DSi XL, 3DS or 3DS XL
- Pokemon Black, White, Black 2 or White 2
- A team of 6 Pokemon ready to battle
In order to challenge our gym leaders at a particular event, you will need to register, which can be done at the PGLS headquarters at the event in question. Registering will get you a nifty trainer card, which we’ll sign as proof of your victories. When you register, you will provide us with your name (real or trainer name, either one works) and the six Pokemon you will be using. Once registered, the six Pokemon you use cannot be changed, so choose carefully!
We offer two tiers of play for differing skill levels. You will need to pick a tier when you register.
- Casual Tier: This is for people who are Pokemon fans, but not Pokemon adepts. If you enjoy the games but aren’t very competitive at it, then we offer the casual tier as a lighter challenge. Also great for kids.
- Competitive Tier: This is for serious challengers who focus on advanced tactics and mechanics. If you know what IVs and EVs are, you belong in this tier.
If you are unsure which tier fits you best, ask a gym leader and they’ll try their best to help.
The following rules apply to official matches against our gym leaders:
- Legendary Pokemon use: Limit of 2 legendary Pokemon for casual challengers. No legendary Pokemon are permitted for competitive challengers. All other Pokemon are permissible for all challengers. The following is a complete list of all Pokemon considered legendary:
Articuno, Zapdos, Moltres, Mewtwo, Mew, Raikou, Entei, Suicune, Lugia, Ho-oh, Celebi, Regirock, Regice, Registeel, Latias, Latios, Kyogre, Groudon, Rayquaza, Jirachi, Deoxys, Uxie, Mesprit, Azelf, Dialga, Palkia, Heatran, Regigigas, Giratina, Cresselia, Phione, Manaphy, Darkrai, Shaymin, Arceus, Victini, Cobalion, Virizion, Terrakion, Tornadus, Thundurus, Reshiram, Zekrom, Landorus, Kyurem, Keldeo, Meloetta, Genesect
- Wonder Launcher use is allowed in casual tier, but not in competitive tier.
- Legitimate copies of the game are required. We cannot do IR battles without legitimate games.
Challenging Gym Leaders
Once you’ve registered, it’s time to battle! Seek out gym leaders (you can identify us by our matching armbands) and challenge them to a battle. We try to accommodate as many challengers as possible, so most of the time we will accept your challenge. However, please understand that we are sometimes taking a break or battling other challengers, so we can’t accept your challenge at all times.
To battle, first make sure you have your C-Gear on, then select the IR option. Choose the following options: Battle, Battles for Two, Single Battle. Align your cartridge slot with the gym leader’s, and the battle begins.
If you lose your challenge, don’t get disheartened. There’s still plenty other gym leaders to battle, and once everyone else has had their turn, you can rechallenge a gym leader whenever you like.
If you win your challenge, congratulations! You will be awarded a trainer badge and will have increased your chances of winning prizes at the end of the convention! Keep challenging other gym leaders and try to win every badge!
If anything here isn’t answered to your satisfaction, or if you have any other questions, you can email us at email@example.com and we’ll be happy to answer.